Locating a good English tutor is going to be any student’s best and most effective method of learning the English language.
One of the best ways of finding a great tutor is by asking people that you know. Word of mouth can be very popular and a good teacher who is worth their salt, will have a good reputation. So, checking out a recommendation is a good start.
Tutors Will Advertise in Various Location
- For instance, they may have put cards or leaflets in cafés, or shops where students hang out.
- There may be advertisements in local newspapers or magazines.
- You could even try a university or college, where tutors frequently put notices up offering to assist students with their studies.
- In Sydney you will also find premium English tutoring services for both primary and high school students at an esteemed company.
You should also do an online search for a tutor and ensure that the site has tutors from your own country or area.
Questions You Should Ask
Should you be willing to pay someone to help you learn English, you will naturally want to make certain that they will be worth it.
So, think along the lines of:
- What are your qualifications?
- How much experience do you have?
- Where can I learn?
- How much are the lessons?
- Do you have any special deals?
- What type of materials do you use?
- Do you happen to specialise in any specific level or types of English?
You should also ask out about their cancellation policy as some will need a few hours’ notice, whilst various may require one to two days’ notice.
Matters of Qualifications and Experience
A qualified teacher should have the right kind of teaching credentials and qualifications and be able to produce them.
Although, sometimes, and especially with individual teaching, experience is much more important than qualifications.
- And it can be true that if a teacher has done plenty of one-to-one tutoring, then they may turn out to be a great English tutor,even without any typical qualifications.
Many tutors operate from professional learning centres and others teach from their own home so you will have to be able to get either one.
- Other times they can be asked to come to your home and teach, although that may cost a little more payment on transportation fees.
The cost of a good tutor can vary, so it is a good idea to ask around or research what the standard rate is where you are.
- Some will naturally give a lower rate per person should there be two or three of you at the same level of learning at the same time.
The content of any lesson is of importance, so ask the tutor exactly what materials they are going to use, or whether you are required to provide your own workbook.
And remember, even with a private English tutor, you must also put in a lot of effort!